Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our campuses are located in Espoo and Helsinki, Finland.
The Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems (http://bio2.aalto.fi/en/) at the School of Chemical Engineering is looking for
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER IN BIOPOLYMER CHEMISTRY AND ENGINEERING,
with strong knowledge in polymer chemistry, carbohydrate chemistry, and/or polymer process engineering.
The successful applicant will develop strategies for biopolymer chemistry in suspension, solutions, and dry state. This also includes pyrolysis of mixed-matrix polymers for electrochemical applications. A wide spectrum of analytical techniques is needed to monitor reaction and conversion efficiency and to conduct mechanistic studies.
The research is carried out at the Biopolymer Chemistry and Engineering research group lead by Professor Michael Hummel. The laboratories are situated on the main campus of Aalto University in Otaniemi (short metro-ride from Helsinki).
The project may be adjusted according to the talents and preferences of the applicants. The activities and responsibilities of the successful applicant will focus on biopolymer chemistry and analysis related to sustainable textiles and carbon material made from biopolymeric precursors. This includes
- development of textile-related organic syntheses
- activation and pretreatment strategies for biomass pyrolysis
- establishing static and dynamic light scattering analysis
- biopolymer processing from solution and suspension
- instruction of doctoral candidates
- contributing to additional fund raising
- PhD in a suitable field, such as (bio-)polymer chemistry, polymer engineering, organic, carbohydrate chemistry, or similar
- be highly committed to science and strive for excellence
- work independently and instruct PhD candidates
- have excellent written and oral communication skills in English
Skills, knowledge or interest in some of the following areas are highly appreciated:
- (bio-)polymer processing
- carbohydrate chemistry and organic synthesis
- spectroscopic methods (NMR, FTIR, Raman), in particular static and dynamic light scattering
- elucidation of reaction mechanisms
- supporting in the preparation of high-level international project proposals
- high-end laboratory infrastructure and an international and highly professional working environment
- opportunity to work in a newly established research group
- freedom to bring in own ideas
- funding for 1+1 years
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For additional scientific information, please contact Prof. Michael Hummel or, in matters related to the recruitment process, HR Coordinator Sanni Mero, e-mails: email@example.com.
HOW TO APPLY
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter (highlighting why you are interested in this position and why you think that you are a good candidate)
- CV, incl. list of publications
- Research interest description
- Names and contact details of references
All materials should be provided in English through the online recruitment system.
The call is open until July 31st, but review of candidates starts July 1st, and the position may be filled before the end of the call. Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.