Assistant Professor of Biology: Integrative Biologist (2 positions)
As a part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, the College of Arts and Sciences at Marian University-Indianapolis seeks qualified applicants for a two Integrative Biologists with expertise in some combinations of cell biology, molecular genetics, developmental biology, and computational biology. Preference will be given to those showing the ability to develop an undergraduate research program. Successful candidates will also foster student learning through innovative pedagogy, inclusive practice, and contributions to a research across the curriculum model that integrates authentic, novel research projects into introductory courses for majors. The Department of Biology at Marian University believes that to grow stronger it is essential to recruit and retain a diverse faculty to build an inclusive community. Thus, we welcome and encourage orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, cultures, and national origins.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings in many areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach 12 load hours per semester in introductory biology core, and/or upper-level lectures and labs. Course releases may be available for individuals participating in grant writing, research, or developing innovative pedagogy.
- Demonstrate academic excellence, the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students, and actively participate in the life of the campus, and help advances the mission and values of the university.
- Engage students in research, scholarship and other professional activities.
- Mentor and advise students through academic advising, clubs, research, and internship opportunities, particularly those of pre-professional or pre-medical programs.
- Participates in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Contribute to curriculum development and assessment within the department.
- Actively participate in faculty governance within the department and across the university.
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in programs and services.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- A Ph.D. in Biology or related field with demonstrated ability to integrate across disciplines.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence and innovation in student-centered instruction.
- Demonstrated interest in science teaching pedagogy, curriculum and program development.
- Potential for ongoing research, publication and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
We will begin reviewing applications on November 28th, and continue until the positions are filled. Applications require a cover letter, a current resume, contact information for three professional references, and responses to the supplemental mission questions.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application: