Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
If you'd like, Academic Keys can email you similar job openings. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Don't want to subscribe? That's OK too!
Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
Search for University Jobs in Sciences
Portland Community College
Portland Community College is seeking a full-time geology faculty member to provide culturally responsive instruction in support of PCC’s Mission and Values. The successful candidate will be a dynamic instructor who can build an environment that inspires and communicates a love of geology and science to a diverse group of students. There will be opportunities to provide input and collaborative leadership in the areas of curriculum and program development, mentoring, virtual learning, college-wide initiatives, community outreach, and educational research. The new instructor in this position will teach classes at the Cascade campus and also fully online, and will have access to state of the art teaching labs and will be expected to use student-centered active learning techniques to engage students. The ideal candidate will have a background in quaternary studies that intersects water, surface environments, and climate, such as someone with an expertise in groundwater, streams, soils and sediments, and/or surface processes. The earth sciences departments are currently in a state of renewal, and this is a rare opportunity to help shape the future growth of the program for the 21st century. If this sounds like a position that interests you, please consider applying for this outstanding geology faculty opportunity today!
See the classification description for additional information: https://www.pcc.edu/instructor-qualifications/g/
As part of this application you will be required to respond to the application question below, and to upload your response as an attachment. You will also be required to upload a copy of your unofficial transcript.
· In what ways do your lived experiences prepare you for culturally-responsive teaching?
These qualifications, skills and abilities are critical for success in this position.
Throughout the screening process, you will be evaluated based on the demonstration of these qualifications. In your application material, please clearly address your experience with the following Success Criteria, as well as the Instructor Qualifications.
- Demonstrates readiness and enthusiasm to teach all geology lecture and lab classes offered at PCC, in all modalities, including fully online. (See https://www.pcc.edu/ccog/?fa=course&subject=G)
- Demonstrates ability and enthusiasm to work collaboratively to coordinate and build community with other full-time and part-time faculty who teach geology classes (Responsibilities may include coordinating course materials, working collaboratively with the instructional support team and other faculty, assessing student learning, and providing onboarding and continued mentorship of faculty.)
- Demonstrates an understanding of their cultural background, how it influences personal biases, perception, values and practices, and allows it to shape student success and create a sense of belonging in the classroom
- Demonstrates a willingness to lead by example and to work collaboratively with others to promote a culture where prejudice, discrimination, and racism are disrupted
- Demonstrates experience and/or readiness in developing, implementing, and refining culturally responsive curriculum and practices in collaboration with all faculty to support equitable student success across a wide range of student experiences, language diversity, socioeconomic diversity, cultural, ethnic, racial, and gender identities
- Demonstrates an ability to navigate in-person and field-based laboratory teaching with a focus on student learning, safety, and responsible equipment use and care in collaboration with the instructional support team
- Demonstrates a dedication to professional development and continuous improvement toward supporting equitable student success
To be considered, your application must demonstrate these minimum qualifications. (Experience is calculated based on the start and end dates you provide multiplied by the number of hours per week worked).
- Master’s degree (or higher) in the subject area
- Master’s degree (or higher) in a related area plus 30 quarter hours of graduate credit in the subject area.
Subject Area degrees includes but are not limited to:
● Earth Science
● Earth Systems Science
● Planetary Science
Related Area degrees include but are not limited to:
● Atmospheric Science
● Physical Geography
● Environmental Science
● Science Teaching
● Soil Science
For related area degrees transcripts must be reviewed to document a minimum of 30 quarter hours of graduate credit in the area of earth science.
These lists of subject and related areas may not be inclusive as there are other degree titles that may be appropriate. The Program Dean, in consultation with the Faculty Department Chair, will make a recommendation to the Pathway Dean for Sciences, Computing, and Engineering about the applicability of a particular degree that is outside the scope of these lists.
A part-time instructor with a Bachelor’s degree in the subject area but without a Masters or Doctorate in the subject area may be approved if they have 30 quarter hours of graduate credit in the subject area and are actively pursuing the degree and are anticipated to be awarded the degree within one year of hire, as determined by the instructor’s graduate advisor (a letter from the advisor will be required and kept on file.)
Demonstrated Competency Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in the subject area AND at least 3 years of demonstrable competence gained through any combination of research, teaching, and/or professional work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area AND at least 5 years of demonstrable competence gained through any combination of research, teaching, and/or professional work experience.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |