Since March 2019, the international graduate school "Helmholtz School for Data Science in Life, Earth and Energy" (HDS-LEE) has been established between RWTH Aachen University, Forschungszentrum Jülich, the University of Cologne, the German Aerospace Center (DLR) and the Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung. HDS-LEE provides an interdisciplinary environment for educating the next generation of data scientists in close contact to domainspecific knowledge and research. All three domains – life & medical sciences, earth sciences and energy systems/materials – are characterized by the generation of huge heterogeneously structured data sets which have to be evaluated in order to obtain a holistic understanding of very complex systems. Visit HDS-LEE at: https://www.hds-lee.de/
The international graduate school program is addressed to excellent students with mathematics, computer science, natural sciences and engineering master degrees who are willing to work at the interface between domain-related research and data science.
Candidates will be offered a clearly structured three-year program comprising:
- block course "data science methods and applications"
- compulsory elective training courses, e.g. training days at the Jülich Supercomputing Center (JSC)
- annual retreat and data science conference
- participation in (international) conferences
- transferable skills and career advancement
- excellent degree in mathematics, computer science, natural sciences and engineering master or a related discipline as indicated, for example, by bachelor and master study transcripts and two reference letters
- expert knowledge of at least one programming language
- very good command of English: TOEFL or equivalent evidence of English-speaking skills
- outstanding organisational skills and the ability to work independently
- very good cooperation and communication skills and ability to work as part of a team
The HDS-LEE PhD position will be located at one of the 5 partners: RWTH Aachen University, the University of Cologne, Forschungszentrum Jülich, the German Aerospace Center or the Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung
- 3 year position
- pay in line with 100 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD/TV-L)
- unique HDS-LEE graduate school program
- a highly motivated group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment
- outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure – ideal conditions for successfully completing a doctoral degree
- chance of participating in (international) conferences
- continuous scientific mentoring by your scientific advisor
- doctoral degree conferred by the respective university
- further development of your personal strengths, e.g. via a comprehensive further training program
Open positions within HDS-LEE can be found at: https://www.hds-lee.de/admission/
Equal career prospects for women and men. Severely disabled applicants with equal qualification will be given preferential consideration.
Become a part of HDS-LEE.